Thursday, May 13, 2010

LML

Greetings!!

Just to give you a little back round information about what LML means, its stands for Love my Life. Every time something bad happens to one of our team mates like for example you have the African Runs lol we say LML instead of FML. Its a good reminder that things could be worse and to be thankful for that.


A couple days ago some of my team mates went to the prison to hand out extra food and soap to the mothers that are locked up and there children. If a mother is put into jail so are her children. One of the ladies they met was in jail for barring her child alive. That child is at our orphanage but none of us know which one it is. CRAZY!! On there way back passing through town the locals had caught a thief. The police made him get completely naked before anyone had a chance to pore gas on him and start him on fire. EVEN CRAZIER!!

We started cutting the grass at the local School so when the kids come back they can play soccer in the field. We have to cut the grass with machetes. All i have to say is its really hard and Hot haha. Plus there are frogs everywhere that we cant touch since they have poisonous saliva. EKK!! We have been assigned painting projects all over town, they want us to do murals on some of the walls. KNOW ONE ON MY TEAM CAN DRAW so this should be interesting.

We all pitched in money and bought fabric on Tuesday. We are going to try and knot together a soccer net for the community. If it works its $10.00 a net and a whole lotta man hours haha. Everyday we go to the soccer field (which during the day also doubles as grazing land for all the local cows haha) and play a game with the kids around our community. I play defense which i would like to point out I'm not to bad at. Its weird that the only girls who play are white and are from our team. I cant even tell you how many times I've slid in cow dung trying to get the ball lol. Everyday more and more kids come out to play against us. Some are too small so they play hand games and sing songs with the none athletic members of our group. The first time we made our way to the field it was hard to get the kids to come play with us. One of the boys Chris told one of our girls he couldn't play because he thought we wouldn't want him on our team :(. But we convinced him to play and now he plays Defense with me everyday :). There was another little boy watching the first day we played and he said he couldn't play with us because he didn't have shoes like ours :(. I wanted to take off my shoes and give them to him but i need my runners for climbing up Soroti's massive rock in a couple days and for the safari we are going on in a couple weeks. I plan on leaving my shoes at the orphanage in Jinja. Everyone who plays against us plays with no shoes. I have no idea how they do it. I walk around the base without shoes and my feet start hurting.

I'm
falling in love with some of the children at the orphanage. One of the babies Joseph has something wrong with his shoulder and he cries if you pick him up funny. He wouldn't stop crying yesterday when i was holding him so i tried patting his back and he let out a big fart lol. He stopped crying and smiled at me haha. Issac is my next favorite he has buck teeth and his giggle is so funny. He was carried by Ywam as a baby and then given back to his parents. YWAM does random checkups on the children given back and if they are not being taken care of properly then they are taken back to the orphanage. Issac is one of those babies. Right now he is all bloated and you can feel his ribs through his shirt. Its frustrating that he had to return in such pore condition. Even worse is he is almost 2 years old and he is the size of a 1 year old. I'm finding it hard sometimes to be in such a big group since you loose that individual freedom. I had a chance to go with one of the nurses at the orphanage to the hospital and help with immunizations. She could only bring just one of us and we have to always stay in two's so i was not allowed to go.
Everyone will be proud to know i have avoided all major illnesses thus far and my bowels are working just fine haha. I also had a chance to eat White ants. They are actually really good. I might try to bring some home for everyone to try. They have these massive ant hills everywhere. At night the locals shine a light on the hills and the ants (which have wings and are actually red colored) fly to wards it. They catch them, de-wing them and fry them up haha. Add salt and a hand full is 6x the amount of protein as eating a steak.

Got to go!!

Love you all!

Chantal

5 comments:

  1. Hey Geek,

    My heart is with you and the kids you are caring for. You made me cry with your stories. I feel so helpless and feel so bad for kids because they are so innocent. They are blessed to have you guys there to help.

    I love you and miss you so much and I am so proud of you :)

    Love,

    Co

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ello ello ello!

    So clearly we are gunna hafta play some soccer when you get back and test out those defensive skills you have.

    So these guys actually light you on fire for stealing eh? Thats crazy! Effective, but still crazy.

    Its so sad to hear the stories about all these kids, Im sure they appreciate all you guys are doing for them. Well I gotta run, Ilove the blog by the way! ... Let us know how the soccer net comes along

    Ciao,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sweetie,

    Sounds like a real eye opener! I don't know if I could handle the children in such poor health, I think my heart would break!

    Your caring and love is such a blessing for those little ones, even if it is for only a short time.

    Love hearing from you and what you are experiencing.

    Until your next posting!

    Love you
    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. for god sakes dont bring back any ants.

    ReplyDelete